Subject: [Leica] Happy Noctilux Day
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 16:50:44 -0500

2016 a year when ISO what we used to call ASA hit one million and no one was
kidding or lying or rumor mongering or writing science fiction.
A Nikon flagship F5 you can set to?ISO 3,280,000! Other cameras companies
are sure to follow and I'm sure they have already.
So if you played it safe and shot at a measly 1 million I think  you might
to quite ok with a compact lightweight sharp as heck f 5.6 wide angle lens
on  your camera shooing a black cat in a coal mine at midnight as it jumps
from one garbage can to another and you want to capture it in the air.

We are no longer dependant on large glass lead like weights on our cameras
and in our camera bags to make sure we're ok when the lights are low.
Personally I've zeroed in at f1.8 and calling it modestly "fast" yet not too
fast to make a lead weight out of most focal lenghts of most optics which
all seem to be filled with air. The reason being the ungodly iso's I shoot
at every night most of my shots are at iso 64,000!

F 1.8 is 2/3's of stop slower than Summilux 1.4 speed and  1/3 of a stop
faster than Summicron f2 speed.
Its 1-2/3 stops slower than my old f1 Noctilux!

I say f 5.6 and be there I dream about the new 28mm Summaron-M f/5.6 lens
every single dark night. A thimble which takes pictures. That's what Leica
used to be about!

And I also say f 1.8 and be there as that's what I'm able to shoot with now
Nikon wise.