Subject: [Leica] The "problem" with the M9
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2017 23:36:32 -0500

One of my signature images which appears in just about any portfolio or show
I ever put together is a model standing in front of a blooming tree in
Washington Park in Portland in the early 90's. I did have two camera one
with black and white the other with color but this was a shot which was all
about color. Her dress which was "the merch" had the same magenta purple
pinks that the flowers on the tree behind her did. I blew it up 16x20" and
framed it and put in on the wall. An overwhelming symphony of pinks.
But then someone needed an 8x10 "Panalure" of the shot to put in the paper.
That was paper you'd use in the darkroom with no safelights when you were
making a black and white prints from a color neg. I kept a black and white
of that in the back of my book I'd show around and it was immediately
everyone's favorite image I ever took. A clear consensus. Not the color one.
Now I never show anyone the color one. Which proves my main point in life:
its always what you don't think.

On 1/2/17 2:23 PM, "Frank Filippone" <red735i at verizon.net> wrote:

> I would agree with Steve except that I would make the entire image
> monochrome,
> BUT pop the red in her lips, and cigarette tip, and nails.   And I do mean
> POP.

I think it was Luis that several years ago did a similar image where
> there was only 1 element that needed to be pushed.... Maybe some girls' red
> hair?

I tis fun to be able to play with the image to the degree that one can
> with digital..... to alter a mundane image to be more eye catching... and I
> think this image has that possibility.

Frank
Red735i at verizon.net