Subject: [Leica] Leica officially announced Thambar 2.2/90
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 23:40:30 -0400

They?ll never match the no screen on the back no one will and that camera is
still selling new I think!
You don?t want a screen on the back as it will detract from the Leica
experience - you?ll be excited because you?ll think you?re shooting film!
Something like that I?d love to know how many they?ve sold.
Some things come and go like stereo.  When it  goes you know it will come
back. When it comes back you?ll know it will soon go.
But diffusion never comes back. It?s gone for good. It stays gone.
Unfortunately I used diffusion in the late 70?s quite a bit when I started
out to bring the contrast down on my transparency or slide shots. That was
before the Tiffen low contrast filters came out for that purpose in the
later 80?s.
All those shots I can?t show to anybody. They are too silly and stupid.
Dated. Stupid. Can?t put one of them on a web page not even small.
They?re a pure embarrassment. No way to bring those shots back.

I did see a shot once at a LHSA meeting a slide show a NY Policeman shot the
Chrysler building from a helicopter it looked like it was in a fog but it
was a Thumbar.
I have to say it was impressive. As a matter of fact it was my favorite shot
in the whole slide show.
That?s a rare exception.
I feel now a diffused shot is a ruined shot. And I?d not diffuse them later
with Photoshop either but you have that option in the year 2525 when
diffusion comes back for ten minutes.

The choice to use diffusion comes out of the days before WWII when
photographers found photographs to be embarrassing and tried to make them
look like ?real art? instead.
Diffusion was they?re main tool for making photographs look like real art.
And the original Thumbar came out of that.
We now are fine about making photographs we don?t have to apologize for them
anymore.
We want them to look as much like photographs as we can. As that?s what they
are.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

On 10/17/17, 1:00 PM, "LUG on behalf of Tina Manley"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of tmanley
at gmail.com> wrote:

    They have a nostalgic look to them but I would guess it's nothing you
    couldn't do digitally if you wanted to.

    Tina

    --
    Tina Manley