Subject: [Leica] Tom Abrahamson
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 17:37:27 -0500

I first heard of the LUG at a meeting in Chicago from Tom Abrahamson Friday
Oct 22, 1999. He was sitting outside a conference in the hallway smoking a
pipe. I asked him what was going on inside he said "The LUG". Then told me
what that meant. I wrote it down and signed up when I got home.   I'd met
him in Denver the year before in a dark hotel bar filled with cigarette
smoke. His wife too and a bunch of other Leica nuts. That's why I'd go to
those LHSA meetings.
I used his Rapidwinder on both my M6's. He handed me one in a hallway in
Boston said "pay me some other time" which I did. Also many softies from
Tuulikki his partner (wife).
Tom told great stories was one of the most charming people I've ever met.
I loved his stories about flying to Japan and hanging out with the Cosina
guy in his factory. Those guys has loads of fun coming up with new stuff to
make.
Tom and Tuulikki were known as "T&T" and I'd drive north to visit them in
the winter from Portland to Vancouver in a blizzard with cars strewn on the
sides of I5. Not my Buick! Ted would often be there and others. Often there
was a swap meet. We'd stack our Leicas in the middle of the table. I'd stay
at a bed and breakfast and eat pancakes in the morning. Would shoot a ton of
film which a Rapidwinder would help you do.