Subject: [Leica] camera bag/strap question
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2017 19:17:03 -0400

Instead of disoriented I bet giving off an air of being both focused and
aware of your surroundings is also a way to fend them off.
When you turn into a quiet street and we have those in NYC be aware of who
might be behind you following you into that street.
I keep my bag in front of me when I?m in a crowd. Like a baby.
You don?t mess with my bag. It?s my bag.

Another trick I like is throw a shirt over my bag. It?s like camouflage in a
way they don?t know what exactly you?ve got there and would perhaps veer off
rom messing with it.
I think people steal what is visible. If they can?t see it, they somehow
don?t want it.
Its more than just leaving stuff visible on the seat of your car It?s the
way you walk down the street with your stuff.
That?s 11 years in the big city talking. NYC.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

On 8/4/17, 5:15 PM, "LUG on behalf of Ken Carney"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of kcarney1
at cox.net> wrote:

    Thanks to all for commenting.  In looking further, it does appear that
    strap cutting is unusual and requires an over-achieving thief.  As noted
    most of the losses seem avoidable, e.g., pickpockets, carelessness.
    I've read that the thieves refer to the tourists as "the disoriented" or
    something like that.

    Ken