Subject: [Leica] IMGs: More Photographica
From: amr3 at uwmalumni.com (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 15:57:18 -0600

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 "Douglas Barry" <imra at iol.ie>wrote:

>I have the Weston Master V and the Sekonic Studio Deluxe but both are
>selenium challenged and didn't give me the correct readings when I tried
>using them on a couple of occasions. I have a digital Sekonic which works
>fine but the other two are merely decorative. I did read about the
>possibility of using a solar cell taken from a calculator, but it could be
>just old wives' tales. If there are any old wives out there, let me know as
>I do like tilting at windmills....

>Douglas
==========================================================================================================================
A Sekonic Studio Deluxe (a different one than in the picture) was my
constant companion from 1973 until I went digital.  I had it on a "Key-Bak"
clipped to my belt, and I followed its readings for all my transparency
shooting, personal and at work.  When I used a polarizer (which I did for
almost all outdoor shots) I used the 3.5x index on the dial.  I very rarely
bracketed, so I only had to edit for content, and I saved money by not
having to discard badly exposed frames.  Sometimes shooting 3D art, I
supplemented the Sekonic with a Minolta spot meter for checking highlights
and shadows. This favorite Studio Deluxe slipped out of my hand one day
when I was putting it on my belt, and landed on concrete - so that was that.

Some of the meters in the picture were given to me or were from photo
rummages and don't work.

--
Alan

(Retired)