Subject: [Leica] [OM] IMGS: China
From: tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 09:45:44 -0500

Yes, the smog in Beijing and Ulaanbaator was unbelievable.  We had to wear
the masks with changeable filters or we got instant headaches. Tom was not
completely over his bout with pneumonia and ended up in the hospital in
UB.  The doctor wanted to keep him for 3 days, but after blood tests and
x-rays, decided the best thing was for him to move on out of the
pollution.  She said the hospital was full of elderly people and children
with pneumonia and bronchitis from the awful air pollution.  When we were
there, the air quality index was 999.  UB has 4 power plants in town, all
coal-fired and they are about to open the 5th one.  There were
demonstrations downtown against the polluting coal-fired plants.  Once we
got out in the desert we were fine.

Now they want to re-open coal mines here in the USA  :-(

Some border guards were fine with being photographed.  The Russian ones
were the only ones who made me delete their photos from my card.  (All
totally recoverable.)

Thanks,

Tina