Subject: [Leica] [OM] IMGS: China
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 16:15:02 +0000

Liked the shots too, Tina.
Sorry to hear about Tom. The high altitude there might have exacerbated
the poor air quality. Even back in 2010, our cleaning woman in the bank
who was from Ulaanbaatar praised the lack of smog in Dublin and told me
it was terrible back home. She was a lovely woman and gave a good
impression of the Mongolian people. Pity they named their airport after
a murdering rapist :-)

Douglas

On 24/02/2017 14:45, Tina Manley wrote:
> Yes, the smog in Beijing and Ulaanbaator was unbelievable.  We had to wear
> the masks with changeable filters or we got instant headaches. Tom was not
> completely over his bout with pneumonia and ended up in the hospital in
> UB.  The doctor wanted to keep him for 3 days, but after blood tests and
> x-rays, decided the best thing was for him to move on out of the
> pollution.  She said the hospital was full of elderly people and children
> with pneumonia and bronchitis from the awful air pollution.  When we were
> there, the air quality index was 999.  UB has 4 power plants in town, all
> coal-fired and they are about to open the 5th one.  There were
> demonstrations downtown against the polluting coal-fired plants.  Once we
> got out in the desert we were fine.
>
> Now they want to re-open coal mines here in the USA  :-(
>
> Some border guards were fine with being photographed.  The Russian ones
> were the only ones who made me delete their photos from my card.  (All
> totally recoverable.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tina
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:01 AM, Nathan Wajsman <photo at frozenlight.eu>
> wrote:
>
>> Interesting images! Why the facemask in the beginning?Beijing smog?
>> You were brave to photograph the border guards, such people usually do not
>> appreciate this kind of attention.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Nathan
>>
>> Nathan Wajsman
>> Alicante, Spain
>> http://www.frozenlight.eu <http://www.frozenlight.eu/>
>> http:// <http://www.greatpix.eu/>www.greatpix.eu
>> PICTURE OF THE WEEK: http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws <
>> http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws>Blog: http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/ <
>> http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>
>> Cycling: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/belgiangator <
>> http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/belgiangator>
>> YNWA

>>> On 23 Feb 2017, at 23:49, Tina Manley <tmanley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> PESO:
>>>
>>> I finished editing the photos from China and am moving on to Mongolia.
>> The
>>> last photos from China, of the Trans-Mongolian Express, start here:
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/peso_2017&page=7
>>>
>>> I'll be adding lots more.  It was a long train ride!!
>>>
>>> Any comments are welcome.
>>>
>>> Tina
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tina Manley