Subject: [Leica] IMG: An Experiment
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 14:44:51 -0400

There may be a slight learning curve for Teds famous trick shooting right
through a chain link fence at a ball game wide open with maybe a short tele
so it just becomes invisible and you can get the batter and the pitcher and
the rest of the players etc. To me this was more fun to find out than the
dark side rule.
But you can?t be too close to the fence I think. A wide would be no good I?d
think even a fast one.
The shot has to be set up just right. Like you?re in the seats in behind
home plate at a baseball game.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

On 5/26/17, 2:29 PM, "LUG on behalf of Jim Nichols"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of jhnichols
at lighttube.net> wrote:

    Hi George,

    That was Ted's question, also.  I have done that, and it produces fine
    images.  But, it requires me to either stand, or place my chair right up
    against the fence and lean forward to get the camera in the right spot,
    neither of which is comfortable at my age.  I'm not looking for Sports
    Illustrated winners, just family interest snaps.  If I can do that and
    be comfortable at the same time, so much the better.

    Jim Nichols
    Tullahoma, TN USA

    On 5/26/2017 1:22 PM, George Lottermoser wrote:
    >> On May 26, 2017, at 11:42 AM, Jim Nichols <jhnichols at
lighttube.net> wrote:

    >> It was a late game on a chilly night, but I wanted to try an idea I
had for minimizing the intrusion of the sideline fence while shooting from
my chair near the fence.  By the time this shot was taken, it was almost
8pm, so the light was getting weak.  It was a rough outing for our boys in
blue and white.  In this shot, the pitcher fooled my gr-grandson as well as
his catcher, because the ball ended up at his feet.

    >> I added a B+W 103 ND 0.9 (8X) filter and set the lens at f/2.0,
focusing just short of infinity.  As late as it was, I could have shot
without the filter, but wanted to see how it performed.  I was seated about
3ft from the fence.  This image is cropped top and bottom, but is uncropped
horizontally.  I was well satisfied with the result, and expect it to do
even better in brighter light.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20170525-DSCF2076.JPG.html