Subject: [Leica] Spanish name for Native Americans
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 06:53:15 -0400

Douglas,

Hispanics in the Americas still use the word ?Indios? (Indians) when
speaking Spanish (Castilian) and I think that it also true in Spain. How
do I know this? My family came to the US from Spain. I lived in New Mexico
and not only did my fellow Hispanics continue to call Native Americans
?Indians? when speaking English, the Pueblo people in New Mexico also
called themselves Indians, and they preferred Indian to Native American (a
term they regarded as an Anglo invention, irrelevant to them).

Understand that the Pueblo Indians, who constitute the majority of the
Native Americans in NM, prefer to speak Spanish among themselves and they
all have Hispanic names. They lived under Spanish rule for 210 years and
Mexican rule for 27.

There has been an effort among some of the younger Indians to revive their
native languages (there are actually three Pueblo languages) but Spanish
is still very much the everyday language of the New Mexico Pueblos.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook

On 6/19/17, 6:31 AM, "LUG on behalf of Douglas Barry"
<lug-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com at leica-users.org on behalf of