Subject: [Leica] IMG: Last group from Cesky Krumlov
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 14:04:47 -0700

On our second day in Cesky Krumlov, the weather was iffy, and the light
was like a soft box rather than bright sun.  We still managed to see the
town.  When it rained, we ducked into a museum devoted to the works of
the early 20th century Expressionist Egon Schiele, who spent a lot of
time in Cesky Krumlov. No photographs were allowed there, but I want to
share something about the museum with you.  The exhibit pairs several
photographic views of the town with Schiele's paintings of them.  What
he saw contrasted with how it made him feel.  A very effective way to
get into the artist's head.

There was also an exhibit of the Czech artist Vera Novakova (born 1928).
It drove home how even though the post-war Czech Communist regime was
considered less repressive than the Soviet Union, conditions for free
thinkers were still pretty bleak.  For years, Novakova was prevented
from finishing her art studies after WWII because she and her family
were "politically unreliable." Even after getting permission to support
herself with her art, she was still forbidden to exhibit.

<http://www.artforgood.cz/en/umelec/vera-novakova>
<http://www.artforgood.cz/en/virtualni-prohlidky/vera-novakova-kampak-a-odkud>
see especially "Thus Passes the Glory of the World (Sic Transit Gloria
Mundi)

On to my pictures.  We climbed up the castle tower, and saw some
beautiful views of the town.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/35950230360/in/dateposted-public/>
(Click photo to enlarge, note the blocky Soviet-style apartment
buildings at the upper right, in contrast to the old town in the foreground)
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/36347134595/in/dateposted-public/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/35950230260/in/dateposted-public/>

Here is a young woman selling Trdeln?k, a cylindrical pastry rolled in
cinnamon, sugar and (often) crushed walnuts:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/35511228504/in/dateposted-public/>

Street scene from the old town:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/36347134335/in/dateposted-public/>

The old doorway of a Pension, with  self-portrait added for good measure:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/35950230160/in/dateposted-public/>

Into the light, from a very narrow alleyway:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/35950230010/in/dateposted-public/>

Next stop, Prague.  Enjoy!
--Peter