Subject: [Leica] IMG: Czech Holocaust memorial
From: hlritter at twc.com (Howard L Ritter Jr)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 18:37:53 -0400

Douglas?

One of the wonders of the U.S., not an unmixed virtue, is that the freedom
to say any damn fool thing you want to, with few limitations, is as prized
as the freedom to own (and sometimes carry) firearms. It would be
unthinkable for any American legislative body to prohibit any form of speech
that does not directly seek to incite violence or to reveal official
secrets. That is why white-supremacist organizations are able to
demonstrate. No one is willing to trust the government to decide what speech
is impermissible. In my opinion, even to attach additional penalties to the
commission of a crime when the criminal was motivated by ?hate? is
indefensible; it is to punish a person for his thoughts as well as his
criminal actions. A law such as Ireland?s of 1989 would be unthinkable here.

The response I keep wishing for to these terrified losers when they assemble
is: Don?t attend. If you must attend, stand still with your back to the
marchers and don?t make a sound. If you can?t stand still, shake your
finger. Videos of marchers eliciting no emotion, not even outrage, at most
silent condemnation, would help to give them the ridicule they deserve by
documenting their impotence.

Many people, of whom I am one, feel that to bring down statues commemorating
consequential figures on the wrong side of history is to risk whitewashing
history and leading future generations to forget the sins of the past, at
the risk of sinning in the future. The arrogance of a society pretending to
be better than it is is a peculiarly pernicious trait. I think it would be
particularly fitting for Confederate statues to be relocated from public
places of business and traffic to, say, Confederate cemeteries, like with
like, or other Civil War cemeteries, with explanatory plaques, as if to
force the historical figures, and onlookers alike, to contemplate the human
cost of their treason.

?howard