Subject: [Leica] Fwd: Re: IMG: Czech Holocaust memorial
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 22:41:16 +0100

Bizarre that the lessons of history are so quickly forgotten. Listening
to those sad sacks shouting slogans like "Jews will not replace us" in
VA and getting away with it, makes my blood boil. In Ireland, we use the
"Prohibition to Inciting Hatred Act 1989" and shouting slogans like that
would have the shouters in jail before they could blink.

I'm amazed at all this keruffle over controversial statues which, in my
opinion, are works of art - for better or for worse - and should not be
destroyed, but rather moved to less prominent places such as museums or
sculpture gardens where the public still has access. Proper education
about the secession seems to be missing in US education, and needs to be
implemented too.

I'm living in Ireland where, between 1845 and 1848, over a million
people died due to the Great Hunger, and more than a million had to
emigrate. Queen Victoria "The Famine Queen" was on the English throne as
Irish incomes were hived off by absentee - and present - landlords
creating a situation where the ordinary Irish had to live on one crop -
the potato - as all the income from the main crops had to be surrendered
as rent. When potato blight struck, the Irish had no food, or income,
and millions starved, and died, or else had to emigrate, but most of you
probably know all this...

However, all over Ireland, there are statues to British imperialists
like Victoria, and a couple of miles away from me, in Dun Laoghaire, a
commemorative fountain, erected to her in 1900 by the loyal burghers of
Dun Laoghaire, was restored around ten years ago after being damaged by
IRA elements in the 1980s. There also used to be a large statue of
Victoria in front of Leinster House - the seat of the Dail (Irish
Parliament) and many people wanted it destroyed, despite it being by a
notable artist. In the 30s, we removed both it, and its plinth, and put
them into storage. However, fifty years later, we gave it away to the
Australian government who requested it to adorn the Queen Victoria
building in Sydney.

So, all over Ireland we have statues, obelisks, and other public
memorabilia to the echoes of oppressive British rule, and yet we live
with our history. Despite being the grand nephew of the first man to
kill someone and be killed in the 1916 Easter Rising against British
rule, and also having a grandfather and another grand-uncle who were
Michael Collins's deep cover intelligence agents, I still support the
retention of these historical items as otherwise history loses a
tangible reality.

However, in my opinion, the things that should be removed in the US, and
banned, are confederate flags, and stickers, as they really do cause
anger and may lead to a breach of the peace. Anything used as a hate
symbol - be it confederate flags or Nazi style swastika, etc. - should
be banned in sensible countries, but the US allows this provocative
behaviour under the lame excuse of freedom of speech. However, nobody in
the US is seemingly brave enough to propose a law, or a constitutional
amendment, banning the flying of inflammatory flags, so this sort of
crap is going to prevail for years to come because of cowardly inaction.

Apologies for the rant, but the US seems suddenly a weird and backward
place to us, viewing it from afar through the media prism.
Douglas