Subject: [Leica] [OM] IMG: Classic
From: amr3 at uwmalumni.com (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 11:48:37 -0500

On 17 Aug 2017, at 17:35, Jim Nichols <jhnichols at lighttube.net> wrote:

> I had to get out early today for a date with my local vampire for some
blood work, so I arrived at the airport earlier than usual and found a
classic in the parking lot.  I learned that our local GM dealer and King
Air driver was holding a meeting in the airport conference room.

> This appears to be a 1963 Corvair Spyder Turbo Convertible.  With the
turbo, it can deliver 130 HP.

> Side view:  (The Volvo in the background is my primary set of wheels.)
>
> http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20170817-DSCF6961.JPG.html
>
> Close up:
>
> http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20170817-DSCF6962.JPG.html
>
> Front View:
>
> http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20170817-DSCF6957.JPG.html
>
> Rear View:
>
> http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20170817-DSCF6958.JPG.html
>
> Interior:
>
> http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20170817-DSCF6960.JPG.html
>
> Comments and critiques welcomed and appreciated.
>
> --
> Jim Nichols
> Tullahoma, TN USA
==========================================================================================================================
Nice pictures of cute car.

A friend of mine had convertible Corvair similar to this (I don't think it
had the turbo) that he bought from someone who had hopped it up with
special headers and Koni shocks that made it quick for a Corvair; so much
so that Tom liked to challenge other cars at stoplights.  In 1968, three of
us drove down to O'Hare airport in Chicago to pick up a package at the
freight terminal.  On the way down, he thought it fun to try and get up to
100 mph between stoplights on US 41 (I was appalled, but I couldn't prevail
on him not to do this).   Anyway, arriving at O'Hare, we took a wrong turn
and ended up driving across taxiways.  It was an experience to be in the
middle of the world's busiest airport with the top down, being able to look
up and see all the planes.  At one point we paused at a stop sign and a
jetliner passed in front of us as it taxied to the terminal.  We were sure
we would get into trouble, but somehow got off the field and to the proper
place without being apprehended.  I think I have a few slides somewhere
that I took during our excursion.

--
Alan

(Retired)