Subject: [Leica] Dubai
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 20:08:47 +0530

Actually, I have been going to Dubai quite regularly from the mid 1980s.
They attracted capital by being the first Gulf state to loosen ownership
controls at an export zone cum port they built up called Jebel Ali on the
outskirts of Dubai city. Prior to this any business in the Gulf states had
to have 51% local ownership, which led to all sorts of misuse and problems.
They also loosened the liquor laws to entice expats in - the last time
someone mentioned permits to me, an expat could buy 30 bottles of hard
liquor a month, and this was 20 years ago). Lastly, they made Dubai an
airline hub, which it still is, by having a duty free, in the 1980s and
1990s which was the cheapest in the world, especially for liquor - a bottle
of JWBlack used to cost 50% in Dubai Duty Free compared to other Duty Free
shops, for example. This was a masterstroke, as Dubai became the major
airline hub for the Middle East/West and Central Asia region, followed now
by Europe. They realized, quite early on that, as they had no oil wealth,
they had to become a trade centre. At present there are more Indians,
Pakistanis and Palestinians, each as a distinct expat group, than there are
locals in Dubai.

Cheers
Jayanand