Subject: [Leica] Leica, RIP
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 15:17:41 -0700

Hi CREW,
They have lost themselves in reality of life today! The world of photography
and photographers of all classes is so massive these days. It isn't the
dozen or so who's names and published works through the 30's to about 1980
or less in international magazines, wire services and international
newspapers with huge picture spreads
Ask any 50 young photographers anything about historical information and
they might mention Leica in relation to historical facts? And I bet damn few
will have any reaction other than "Oh yeah that's that very very expensive
camera made in Germany!" MAYBE??????
The bottom line with every camera made is the human making it work!! In
reality regardless of the heavy duty techie folks who go on about you have
to own a LEICA to take great pictures??????????
Not true at all! As that's a huge pile of "HORSE DUNG" The surprising thing
these days are those "wunderkin" I'll use the term "IPHONES." No not the
nickle and dime ones, but some of the latest on the market in the hands of a
talented photographer with an excellent photo eye and they are pure magical!
Today in the hands of an experienced photographer and content and they can
make a LEICA nothing more than a two dollar toy camera.
My last LEICA as of today is an M8 digital with 5 lenses allowing me to
still have great fun while I slowly fade away to the great beyond. However,
to be fair during my 65 years of published works I can say quite honestly
today? "IF IT WERE NOT FOR my always 3 M cameras and 3 motor driven R
cameras in my possession and a pile of lenses all the time LEICA????" I
wouldn't have had the assignments I did about the world, books published,
exhibitions and the largest photographic collection in history to date by a
single Canadian photographer 280,000 images in the National Archives of
Canada. And another 100,000 in the National Art Gallery of Canada.  Probably
another 100,000 in storage that we are at present logging what the subjects
are for the archives adding it to the 280,000. They are already holding in
their archival vaults. For years I was a huge LEICA whole hearted fan!!!
But then slowly the place fell apart in servicing equipment, loaning
equipment during repairs. AND PRICES WENT UP INCREDIBLY SO! :-(
It seemed they were working under a death threat of some kind???
Too bad, as today I feel they are in a slow state of dying and will not to
far in the future close their doors forever?????? But then who am I?
cheers crew,
Dr. Ted Grant O. C.