Subject: [Leica] Home lens coding
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 05:15:15 -0500

Good morning Gerry,  we had a pretty good discussion of home coding back in
the days of the M8.  Generally the home coding worked pretty well for
meticulous people but would wear off pretty quickly if you changed lenses
frequently.  For myself, I found that for little used lenses I could use
the menu to tell the camera what I was using but for the two or three
lenses that I rotate through most often that the coding made sense from
Leica.  Of course you had to go into the menu to tell the camera that the
lens was coded.

I found that the coding did improve the image provided by the system so it
was worth it to me to go through the process in the menu; I believe that if
you were meticulous in making a mask from heavy stock paper and used a
white and black epoxy paint instead of markers you could set yourself up
quite well.  Indeed, I might do that for my lesser used lenses once Leica
releases my M9 from it's jail term.

All the best