I used to use R glass on my D700 without metering problems - I had converted them by swapping the ? flange ??, and they were not chipped.
Of course, this doesn?t help.

Have you tried the options for light-metering? Center, full screen, etc?

Else, a makeshift solution could be bracketing

A real solution would be to buy Nikon ?

Good luck.

Amities
Philippe

An afterthought - is there a setting in the menu that says "shoot without a lens"? I don?t remember.