On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 3:42 PM, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote:
> Certainly nailing the focus and looking like shot wide open or close!
> Great shots!

Thanks!

> You?d shot a bunch more than these or are they not edited down that much?

This was from a couple of years ago so I don't remember every last
detail... but I think the deal was that while I really liked the way
pictures with these fast manual-focus lenses could look, working with
them was a bunch slower than nipping in with the autofocus zoom and
just magically getting the picture.  So people seemed to feel my
presence and the camera's gaze more when I was fussing with manual
focus, and it ended up affecting the pictures.  This made me gravitate
to mostly using the SL autofocus lens.

I think one issue was that I didn't usually want to compose with the
most important in-focus thing right on the middle of the frame, so I'd
move the magnified area over to the part of the picture where the Most
Important Thing (usually somebody's eyes) was and then focus.  I don't
think I trusted the full-frame focus peaking display as much as I
trusted seeing sharp focus at maximum magnification.  But anyway, this
was fiddlier than just maybe putting the autofocus hotspot in the
right place before sliding into position then bing! getting the
picture.

Of course, just always focusing the middle of the frame can be made to
work - when using that still-quite-nice Canon 85mm f/1.2, the only way
I got reliable good focus on a 5D Mk II body was to always focus with
the middle AF point.  So I just backed up and composed assuming I'd
crop to the composition I wanted later.  But I never liked throwing
away that many of the pixels.

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Big SL Lens ( DIameter) explanation)
Message from rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler) ([Leica] Big SL Lens ( DIameter) explanation)
Message from red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Big SL Lens ( DIameter) explanation)