Subject: [Leica] M10 Monochrom oh yes!
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 07:55:45 -0700

My understanding of these high ISO numbers is that it's a function of how
much the camera amplifies the signal.  There appears to be a native ISO of
the sensor (probably about 320 for the M10?) and then there is an amplifier
just under the pixel.  That one amplifies the signal before it's sent to
the processor.  It may be the effective ISO after than initial
amplification that is what really matters.  Noise is picked up in
transferring the image data to the camera's processor from the sensor
chip.  I'm not sure amplification in the camera's processor is any better
than amplification in Photoshop.  So, I've been inclined to believe the
important number is the effective ISO after the initial chip
amplification.  After that, it may be just a sales gimmick.

Is this correct?

I think in the Sony a7rii I'm now using, the actual maximum effective ISO
is about 800.  After that point I'm amplifying the noise as much as the
signal.  What we're after is the best signal to noise ratio.

FWIW

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com