Subject: [Leica] moving beyond Adobe
From: photo.philippe.amard at gmail.com (Philippe)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 21:42:00 +0200

> Le 5 avr. 2018 ? 21:26, Brian Reid <reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> a ?crit
> :
>
> Ome thing I've learned from watching all of these upgrade questions is
> that many people do what I do with Adobe software, which is to cling to
> the last pre-CC version, because CC veersions all have monthly fees.

I tried (hard) to, too, to no avail.

> I use Photoshop CS6, InDesign CS6, Lightroom 5.7, and Dreamweaver CS6. I
> cannot bear the thought of signing up for monthly fees.

I finally bit the bullet, what does that fee mean compared with the cost of
the gear, not to refer to chocolate gifts that are in season here.

> I wonder if Affinity is ready to be real competition for Adobe. I've used
> Photoshop for at least 20 years, and I can do anything with it. My fingers
> and spinal cord know how to use it. Ditto for Dreamweaver. Once a year I
> have to consult the manual for InDesign, but it is also an integral part
> of my life. Lightroom just works; there's not much of a learning curve.

Absolutely

> I'm tempted to buy some Affinity products and try them out, but I haven't
> done it yet. Mostly for lack of time to learn something new. Have any of
> you tried to let go of Adobe, and, if so, where did you go and how did you
> like it?

I?ve tried some of the competitors? offers (Capture one, ON1, Silk Pix,
etc.), but always found they missed something. LR is a fully integrated
suite for the photog and the layman -I?m of the latter form- that has no
match so far. LR CC is for 2.0 kids playing with iPhone btw. So I wnet to LR
CCC (read Classic, that one with the compulsory life rent you call monthly
fees ...)

I don?t have stakes in their business. I fear the day when they have a real
and total monopoly. But I am lazy and am sticking to my lower instincts.

So long as you have a stand alone version and keep the same camera LR is
fine.

Upgrade your camera, and only the future will tell ?

Just as with OS?s ?

Amities
Philippe