Subject: [Leica] Comparing legacy Nikon lenses to Leica R lenses on the Sony A7II 70-200 range
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 14:02:11 +0000

Chiming in, the Canon 300 2.8 L FD can be had fairly inexpensively and is
very crisp.  CA where found is easily removed in the software of your
choice.  Still very usable with the 2X B Canon converter.  The Nikon 400
3.5 mf ai lens is also very good and also relatively affordable.  If you
have the Leica 180 3.4 it is more than good screech with 50+mm of extension
tube attached.  If you are on a budget you can find the Canon LTM 28 3.5,
35 1.8, 50 1.8 or 1.4, and 85 2.0 for very good prices.  All are very good
lenses although not up to lenses ten times their acquisition cost.

Wide angles should probably be newer designs and designed for a mirror
system.  I have had surprisingly good results from the old 21 3.4 Super
Angulon especially at close focusing distances.  The Zeiss 21 2.8 for the
Contax G system is small and quite good.

Of course if learning the muscle memory to use magnified focus is too time
consuming for your subject matter then the acquisition of native lenses is
a wise course of action.  Modern AF is amazingly good most of the time.
Where it fails is when you needed the point of focus to be exactly on a
very small part of your subject and you have no DOF.

All the best.