Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Animals
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 16:05:20 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Tina Manley wrote:

>Why would you need more than 24 MP?  It certainly exceeds film as far as
>dynamic range and the ability to enlarge it goes.

Over-sampling to avoid Bayer-pattern artifacts like aliasing and moire.
When I was using the 90-280 and SL, fine feather detail produced lots of
both.  The a7rII's 42MP combined with the 280 APO still produces some but
its much more manageable.  Some species of birds are more prone to
Bayer-pattern artifacts and will produce such even with a camera with an AA
filter, but 24MP w/o AA filter, an exceptionally sharp lens like the 90-280
and fine regular detail like many feathers is asking for trouble.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com