Subject: [Leica] Monkstown Church
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 21:33:50 +0100

On 28/04/2018 19:50, Jim & Teresa Breeding wrote:
> Hi,  nice shot; ever think of straightening up the towers and perhaps
> giving it a more ?gothic? look?  Tx for sharing.   Jim

Thanks Jim, but I'm at a loss as to which of my shots of Monkstown
Church you are referring to, as I haven't photographed the church for a
while.

The church by John Semple all those years ago is in - depending on the
viewpoint - the Portuguese Gothic or Moorish Gothic style, so thus is a
variant of normal Pedestrian Gothic which you may be used to. Sadly, I'm
hopelessly at odds with whatever concept of gothic is required to fit
the sensibilities of those outside the Monkstown area as this church is
not only a local landmark but, warts and all, is a continuing endearment
to all of us in the area. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Photoshop so
prefer to show the photo more or less straight out of the camera, so for
me farting about in Photoshop to try and straighten things is a bit of a
waste of time, and I couldn't be arsed. I'll be buying a tilt lens
eventually.

Douglas

ps the British poet laureate and spy John Betjeman declared it one of
his favourite churches and that Semple was a genius to produce a church
that, in his opinion, was bold, modern, vast and original.