Subject: [Leica] Third party M8/M9 batteries
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 19:34:56 -0700

Thanks, all.? I've done a bit of e-searching.? Many fewer sources offer
third-party batteries for the M8/M9 than a few years back. There seem to
be only two varieties available now.? Mostly I saw the Cameron Sino
batteries (1600 mah), and another no-name brand (1800 mah).? OEM Leica
batteries are 1860 mah.

The last time I got batteries was in late 2010.? At that time, there
were third-party batteries circulating that had a very bad reputation,
and lower mah ratings (1400-1700) than the OEM Leica batteries.? Also
available were 1900 mah batteries with blue print on the label, which
had a good reputation. I bought two of these. Seven and a half years
later, they still work.? They are no longer available.

My guess is that there was enough business to support both bad
knock-offs and good knock-offs back then. Today, the M8-M9 family is no
longer current, and only really cheap, bad ones remain.? So it may be
that it's best to bite the bullet and pay the Leica price, as obscene as
it is, and as much as I hate encouraging them.? No small camera battery
is worth $175, or even $125.

And then there is the vendor.? They sent me the following baloney
boilerplate when I complained that the batteries had died after only a
few charge cycles.

 ?? ?"When a brand new battery is installed and your device is not
functioning properly, we suggest that you contact the manufacturer of
your device to see if they can help troubleshoot the problem.

 ?? ?"The manufacturer of the battery you have purchased is Cameron Sino
which is different from the original battery, this is the reason it has
a different quality.

 ?? ?"If you would like to have the %100 same quality, we suggest you to
contact the manufacturer of the original battery for additional
information as to where to buy the original one."

Guess who ain't never gettin' no more of my business.

--Peter

 > Although...that happens with every battery sometime. That said, there
really does seem to be a difference between Fuji OEM batteries and
nonOEMs, more noticeable in the more recent cameras. So I?d assume it?s
true with Leicas as well.

 > Sent from my iPhone
 >
 > > On May 22, 2018, at 7:42 PM, Sonny Carter via LUG <lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

 > > The math doesn?t work when a battery dies just when you want to take a
 > > picture.
 > >
 > >> On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 6:32 PM Frank Filippone <red735i at
verizon.net> wrote:

 > >> Every year this subject gets discussed.
 > >> I postulated, years ago, that the market for the M8 battery type was
 > >> infinitessimal, compared to Nikon/Canon. What correct in the head
Chinese
 > >> maker would bother for this tiny market?? My conclusion was none.
So how do