Subject: [Leica] IMG: Wrocław
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 23:48:31 +0100

Nice spread of images, Nathan. The love lock plague is a curse that
infects Dublin too. It's mainly caused by tourists who assume they're in
a theme park laid out for their benefit.

Last week I was down in the Burren, Co. Clare and went to visit the
early 13th Century abbey at Corcomroe. We were on our own until a
busload of American tourists rolled up and disgorged a mainly elderly
crew who gradually swarmed over the place. As the floor of the nave is
heavily dotted with grave slabs from the various centuries, it acted as
a magnet as they hunted for pre-Columbian dates on the slabs to ohs and
ahs. Beside me, one woman stood on a slab and addressed one of her
companions loudly "Nancy, I can't read this date as it's very worn". I
remarked back that it was probably because too many people had walked on
it just like she was doing, and ignored the signs saying not to do so
just like she had. It pissed me off that their Irish driver had not
emphasised to them before they came in to the abbey that such behaviour
will rob future visitors of an experience.

Douglas