Subject: [Leica] Today I took again the Monochrom and found a new friend
From: lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 13:56:38 +0200

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for looking and for your comment, you are talking about an
interesting point I was just yesterday discussing with a Leica friend in
Barcelona, he said me he expose on the maximum highlighted point of the
picture to avoid ?broken highlights?, I was saying him that this is not
correct in my opinion, he was converting a Zone IX or X into a V or even IV,
but everyone of us has his own rules. I have usually my camera set at -0.33
and many times I still expose half stop less, what minds I?m exposing -0.83.
 This is usual rule when I expose with digital, I do this because in my
opinion the highlights are easily over Zone X and with digital it is very
difficult correct these over exposed highlights, if you want correct this in
the edition as you say once the highlights are over exposed you can?t
correct them and if you do it you obtain a ugly grey highlights. On the
other hand with digital it is incredible the information you can get from
the shadows, particularly with the Monochrom. But with film I do the
opposite, remember the old rule ?Expose for the shadows and develop for the
highlights?.

Lluis