Subject: [Leica] RE Cost of pictures
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2018 00:20:05 -0400

As a point of interest, the latest issue of Science magazine, the journal of
the AAAS, reports on the annual number of photographs taken. ?In the early
1800s, the first ever photograph was taken, an unassuming picture that
required days of exposure to obtain a very grainy image. Over one million
photos were taken during the US Civil war of which 100,000 survive. In the
late 1800s, photography was used for the first time to see the movement of a
running horse that was too fast for the human eye. In the following years
photography played a pivotal role in human history, ranging from creation of
the national parks in the USA all the way to documenting NASA?s first moon
mission  In the 1900s, roughly 10 billion photographs were taken per year.
Facilitated by the explosion of the internet, we will approach 2 trillion
images this year - roughly about 1000 images per year for every person on
the planet.?

As a frequent reviewer of art and photo shows in the TriState area I have
noticed several results of this plethora of images. First, figurative images
are almost impossible to sell. Unless directly ordered by the recipient
(i.e. a portrait or picture at ones children or a prized possession) the
chance of selling any image approaches zero. Second, we have run out of wall
space to exhibit images. It is virtually impossible to book a display space
unless reserved far in advance. Modern houses have too many windows and too
little blank wall space.

I can conceive on only one simple fix for too many images. Raise the cost to
at least one USD per exposure. Use film instead of digital. Currently it
costs only pennies to take and print a picture. At current rates a year?s
worth of photos requires only a few dollars of expense. The price of a new
Leica kit is  thousands of times more expensive. Does anyone have a more
sensible solution?

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from jhandsfield at att.net (James Handsfield) ([Leica] RE Cost of pictures)
Reply from photo.philippe.amard at gmail.com (Philippe) ([Leica] RE Cost of pictures)