Subject: [Leica] Sony 55 Sonnar question
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 03:17:43 -0400

But if a fixed lens was flexible it would NOT be doing its job!
A very good joke ruined!
Otherwise good work Mark!

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 10/23/18, 2:33 AM, "LUG on behalf of Mark Rabiner"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of mark at
rabinergroup.com> wrote:

    I agree on fixed focal length glass as lacking flexibility. But if a
fixed lens was flexible it would be doing its job!
    If this was me shooting with one lens with a Sony I'd shoot it with a
Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70 mm F4 ZA OSS which is gorgeous and takes licking
and keeps on ticking I'd not leave home without and I'm not really kidding.!
    When I look at the focal lengths I shoot with my new zooms this year I'd
never have thought those focal lengths were what I'd be using in these
situations.
    It's always what you don?t think. So a zoom has you not locked in and
has you covered.
    So if you're not walking around with a camera bag with a complete set of
wide, normal, tele lenses I'd for sure have a standard zoom on that anti
vibration camera.
    And in this case what could be more perfect than an F4 fixed zoom?
    It?s the glass which is way we should be buying our cameras. And this
glass for this system seems very exciting.
    I?m using Nikon VR zooms for the most part it's not all that original
but I'm excited by it.
    I?m getting a 50-200 VR DX as I'm getting a D500 fast DX camera body for
my birthday in a few weeks.
    Ten frames a second and be there.
    VR means Vibration Reduction.

    My favorite lens now is my AF-S VR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED  for my D750 I
just got I use it way more than my wide or tele zooms.
    I'll soon be using it on my DX D500 which makes it a 35-125mm which I
may like better and is what I used for my road trip moving here from the
west to east coast.

    Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70 mm F4 ZA OSS
    SEL2470Z

    --

    Mark William Rabiner
    Photographer

    ?On 10/23/18, 2:07 AM, "LUG on behalf of Philippe via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

        Hi Douglas,

        what I question is not the lens itself whatever the brand, but its
FL and the lack of versatility a fixed lens provides.

        Well, you know the details more than I do after all.

        Good luck with the shooting

        Amities

        Philippe

        > Le 22 oct. 2018 ? 23:42, Douglas Barry <imra at iol.ie> a ?crit :
        >
        > I've an assignment which involves a day's shooting in an office
environment with my Sony A7ll, and will need to use flash more than a bit.
I'm not overly thrilled with the kit lens that came with the Sony, so am
thinking of going for 55mm 1.8 Sonnar as it is designed for the camera and
flash. I have a perfectly good Elmar 50 2.8, but it won't give me the
response times I will need for this task.

        > So the question for the Sony shooters out there is, have you got
this lens, and are you happy with it? Of course, I have looked at reviews,
but it's good to hear real world experiences.