Subject: [Leica] https://
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 19:16:50 -0400

The SSLs offered free by hosts are usually a blanket SSL that covers the
entire server, which will have hundreds of sites sharing it. Because a
proper SSL certificate specifies the name of the site and its owner, these
blanket SSLs will often give a "this site's security is not configured
properly" error to users. If you need SSL, you should buy an SSL certificate
for your site. I would suggest that since your site does not take money or
ask for personal info from visitors, that it would be a waste of money.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Like My Work on Facebook

?On 10/23/18, 2:54 PM, "LUG on behalf of Sonny Carter via LUG"
<lug-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com at leica-users.org on behalf of
lug at leica-users.org> wrote:

     For those of you running your own website; I received a call from
Network
    Solutions advising me that they could sell me a ssl certificate at a
    discount to make my site secure, that is, I would add https: to the front
    of my domain name. It was pretty pricey, but since it was coming as a
phone
    call, I declined the offer. I then checked with my host provider,
Avahost,
    and they told me they had already provided my certificate. I went to
    https://www.sonc.com/look

<https://www.sonc.com/look?fbclid=IwAR09g4SS9Cvc-mK_Qau92-DBUD0efnSDHhuFXm9GTUCnvFUvgP_wg5QMTzs>
     , and sure enough it was there. Now I don't do email or any commerce out
    of the site but now there won't be an insecure site warning on Google
    Chrome. You might check your own website to see if your host is doing the
    same as Avahost.

    --
    Regards,

    Sonny