Subject: [Leica] Lightroom & linux
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 22:46:42 +0000

All,

On 02/11/2018 21:40, Sonny Carter via LUG wrote:
> With only a few over 1% of desktop/laptop users on Linux, I don't
> think you'll see much of a chance of Adobe looking that way. That and
> most Linux users are there because they don't want to pay for
> software.

Actually not true.

I use Linux for several reasons:

I used to do, and still do from time to time, heavy duty programming which
W10
and its predecessors aren't really set up to do;  I value the flexibility it
offers; and I don't like being corralled into a group of applications that do
what they say but often at great price (but I do buy software);  I can run
also
a vast range of Windows applications on Linux using Wine as the VM (look at
Winehq.org);

Everything I want to do run I can do, although there are some minor issues on
some applications. All that being said I also run W10 a lot - this is being
written on W10!

One of the exceptions is Adobe, which suspended development of Acrobat
Reader on
Linux a few years ago. I don't recall the reason. There are alternatives t it
which generate pdfs.

As for Photoshop etc see below.

> Some Linux options:  Corel Aftershot Pro, Pixeluvo, Polarr, Photomatix

Suggestion: Darkroom; wouldn't bother with Corel

Peter

--

Dr Peter Dzwig

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Lightroom & linux)