Subject: [Leica] Wolf Moon eclipse
From: hcummer at gmail.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 07:50:17 -0800

Very nicely done,
TFS
Howard

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 22:15:16 -0500
From: Howard Ritter <hlritter at bex.net <mailto:hlritter at bex.net>>
To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org <mailto:lug at
leica-users.org>>

Photos of lunar eclipses aren?t very interesting unless they?re part of a
secquence, or taken at very high resolution and large scale through a
telescope, or incorporate foreground elements, or have some ofther
noteworthy aspect.

I took a few shots last night using a Nikon 810A and 80-400 Nikkor zoom. The
Moon was practically overhead, so no foreground features, and I didn?t have
access to my telescope, so I tried for something worth posting, a
(relatively) wide-field composition at a FL of 95mm at full eclipse, when
the Moon was dim enough to allow a long enough exposure to capture some
background stars, notably the bright Castor and Pollux, the ?twins? the
constellation Gemini.

After about the middle of the eclipse, after midnight east coast US time, I
quit. The temperature was ?2? and falling. I went into the hot tub out on
the patio under the beautifully clear sky and watched with naked eye and
binoculars as the Moon emerged from the Earth?s shadow and Orion began
heading for the southwest horizon. Lovely. There was ice in my wet hair, but
supplemental warming was accomplished with a wee dram o? Lagavullin.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/astro/Lunar+Eclipse+with+Twins.jpg.html?g2_fromNavId=x412decf7

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/astro/Lunar+Eclipse+with+Twins.jpg.html?g2_fromNavId=x412decf7>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/astro/Lunar+Eclipse+with+Twins.jpg.html?g2_fromNavId=x412decf7

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/astro/Lunar+Eclipse+with+Twins.jpg.html?g2_fromNavId=x412decf7>>

Please view large and in a darkened room to get the full effect of the
fainter stars. C&C welcome. Thanks for viewing.

?howard