Subject: [Leica] IMGS: B&W
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 17:04:38 -0500
References: <CA+yJO1CdiKMX-mWxntiHtcs1EG_QSSKjZjv=HVAGDwtdhnpoHA@mail.gmail.com> <D9157AB0-1EF7-4BA1-91B7-F763EEDFFFBE@rabinergroup.com> <CA+yJO1AAo5u6tV1RL2wg4zPHvj=S9+JJ70=ZLyO4+AHWNJGZQg@mail.gmail.com> <LO2P265MB1247A7D121E4677A815DF925F9710@LO2P265MB1247.GBRP265.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM> <8B1A24F8-2543-4BD1-9B08-6D30AC56D0B6@gmail.com> <LO2P265MB12479337ED822DDA32E6F8B6F9710@LO2P265MB1247.GBRP265.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM> <0CCA998A-D2B6-41F7-A0C4-3E73DC771445@gmail.com>

I don?t believe in filters creating focus shift. I think it?s a myth. Over
the decades countless people have used 60mm filters with a Noctilux and an M
film camera and nailed their focus and shown and talked about it on the LUG.
Some real filtration can make it so you can be shooting wide open more
often. A dark green or red and make your image really sing... or a neutral
density filter.  An advantage is you don?t have trouble seeing your image
though the view finder of your camera as the dark green or whatever is only
on the front of your lens, not in front of your eye.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 3/4/19, 6:16 PM, "LUG on behalf of Lluis Ripoll via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    I will test this as well, did you contacted Leica support about this
issue?
    Lluis

    > El 4 mar? 2019, a les 23:29, John McMaster <john at mcmaster.co.uk> va
escriure:

    > I tend to use wider apertures, Noctilux with a red filter and I never
got a sharp (by f1.0 standards) shot!  Even an orange on the 21mm f3.4
knocked focus out....

    > john

get accurate focus with (say) a red filter.

    >> john

On Behalf Of Tina Manley via LUG
    >> Sent: 04 March 2019 00:09
    >> To: Leica Users Group
    >> Cc: Tina Manley
    >> Subject: Re: [Leica] IMGS: B&W
    >>
    >> Yes, the MM is totally different from converting color.  I, however,
would
    >> not use actual filters on Leica lenses.  Any glass in front of the
lens
    >> degrades it to some extent and increases the possibility of flares.
That's
    >> one area that I think digital is better.  Take the photo with the MM
and
    >> apply the digital filter later.  That way you still have the
    >> unmanipulated photo and can apply as many or as few filters as you
want,
    >> after the fact.  I really like Nik's Silver Efex for processing B&W.
    >>
    >> Tina
    >>
    >> On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 6:50 AM Mark Rabiner <mark at
rabinergroup.com> wrote:

    >>> I really think and this shot illustrates it that they way to do
black and
    >>> white when your shooting digital is to use a digital camera or back.
    >>> Digital conversions done later have never quite made it for me. Once
I see
    >>> them in color I seldom feel like taking all the color out. I always
know
    >>> the colors are there. Shots I'd converted to black and white years
later
    >>> when I look at the original raw file again I end up keeping the
color when
    >>> I photoshop it again.
    >>> I hope the time comes when I can get set up with a Leica monochrome
or
    >>> other digital black and white sensor and wow start investing in
filters as
    >>> I don?t know if I can find the ones I used to use. My default was
the 060
    >>> B+W yellow green.  Is B+W  still in business it was owned by JSK
Schneider?