Subject: [Leica] IMG: Vía Verde del Maigmó
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 15:01:57 +0200 (CEST)

V?as Verdes ("green roads") are gravel paths that have been installed along
abandoned local railroad tracks. There are quite a few of these around
Spain, since the falling population in the rural interior rendered many of
these local railroads economically untenable. So, since the 1990s, the
authorities have been ripping out the tracks and converting the railroads to
cycling/hiking trails. The surface is mostly gravel, but nicely hard packed,
so any bike with reasonably wide tires will have no problems. And because
trains cannot climb steep slopes, even in mountainous areas those V?as
Verdes make for easy cycling, since mountains are then passed through
tunnels and deep valleys on bridges.

The nearest V?a Verde to Alicante starts near Agost, 25 km from my house,
and runs 22 km to the Maigm? pass. The elevation goes from about 200 m to
about 650 m, but again, very gently. I did the ride yesterday on a mountain
bike I just bought to supplement my road bikes, and it was very pleasant
indeed, with some very nice views too, that I would not have from the normal
road. I had the trail to myself, came across just one other cyclist and no
walkers. Perhaps it had something to do with the temperature, I started the
ride late, around 11, and there is not much shade along this route.

The record of the ride is here:

https://www.greatpix.eu/Via-Verde-del-Maigmo/
https://www.greatpix.eu/V%C3%ADa-Verde-de-Maigm%C3%B3/

Nathan