To: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
Subject: Re: Vario-Elmar
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 02:44:45 +0000
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

As I undertand it, both were Japanese; the 28-70 is a Sigma design but
much redesigned and with Leica quality control, often looked down apon
because of its lowly origins and being the cheapest zoom they've made.
(Made 1990-94 I think). The best information I could get is that it is
very good optically, so preferring the 28mm capability I got one.
Variable aperture; f3.5-4.5. Front element rotates slightly, built-in
lens hood zooms out so polarising filter and Cokin type filters are
unusable. Feels extremely nice to use, can hardly put it down.
Discontinued last year, plenty available used at good prices (well over
here anyway). I'm waiting to see some results, which should be here now
but aren't.

The 35-70 (1983-88) was a Minolta design with Leica refinements as
above. There is a second redesigned version (1988- now), apparently
optically identical, less inclined to vignette due to a larger filter
size (orig E60, now E67). Constant aperure; f3.5. Front element non-
rotating. This is now apparently made in Germany, and I've seen them for
sale, at a price. Current lens.

Info from Leica Collector's Guide. Hope that helps.

Joe B.

In message <v0151010aacf252deb010@[198.110.8.91]>, Ken Wilcox
<wilcox@umcc.umich.edu> writes

--