To: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Subject: Re: 35 vs. 50 summicrons
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 22:53:09 +0000
Cc: Leica List <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>

Having moved over (mostly) to Leica just a year ago, I'm still
discovering the characteristics of each lens. I've just been looking at
7.5 x 5" factory prints (grain *is* in focus, I looked with an 8x loupe)
of some portraits taken with my 50mm Summicron-R (no 3,480,493 German)
at f2 and 1/60th in contrasty lighting, on XP2 @ 400 ISO where I would
have expected pretty sharp results where the shot was in focus, around
the eye of the subject. I know this isn't an ideal test, and something
very fine-grained would be much better, using a tripod etc, but I still
have a subjective impression that at this aperture, this lens isn't that
sharp. I'm comparing the overall effect to that of my old (well battered
anyway) 50mm 1.4 AF Nikkor at f1.4 and f2, used under very similar
conditions. Do the 50mm R-Summicrons vary, or is it one of the less good
performers (I did hear this somewhere, but I daren't mention the
individual who stated this. Enough said!). Or could I be getting this
impression purely from the higher contrast of the Nikkor? I will get
round to getting some big prints made, but meanwhile I'd really like
some opinions. Any comments?

Joe B.

In message <m0tPvll-000xARC@gp.magick.net>, Eric Welch
<ewelch@gp.magick.net> writes