To: w.j.markerink@a1.nl
Subject: SLR lenses on M bodies etc
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 03:50:39 +0000
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

In message <9601200155.AB28924@a3>, Willem-Jan Markerink
<w.j.markerink@a1.NL> writes

>But I am curious about connecting M42 stuff to rangefinders....isn't
>the film-to-flange distance of M42 way too large for that?

The flange to film plane distance on a Leica rangefinder body is a bit
less than that on an SLR. That leaves room for an adapter, and I believe
Leica make them for putting R lenses on M bodies. I have seen adapters
offered by SRB of Luton in the UK to put M42 lenses onto Leica M39
bodies for- wait for it- UKP 14.00. Fourteen pounds! And I would imagine
you simply add the screw-to-M adapter and there you are. Or, for the
perfectionist, they will also make to order an adaptor to put "various"
mount lenses directly onto an M body. The mind boggles. Prices for such
special orders are understandably higher. They even do an express
service for those of us who want, and can afford, to have it in a couple
of days...

FYI, SRB are a reputable company that sell a range of items. They have a
few slightly down-market looking catalogues for adapters, filters etc.
Don't be fooled by their catalogues' downmarket look. They were
recommended to me by Leica UK for custom adaptors. They are currently
making me a couple of 60mm Cokin "P" type adapter rings which Cokin
don't make themselves.

>BTW, after sending my first message, I realized that for proper
>composing on a RF you would need a fisheye viewer also (the best
>fisheye shots require very precise composition)....and *if*
>you have such a thing for a RF, there is little difference in using it on a
>SLR with opaque IR filter....;-))

And on a tripod using a rectangular opaque filter in a Cokin type (or
other) holder (or even held by hand) would be easier than repeatedly
using and removing a screw-in one- if a rectangular opaque IR filter
could be found. I found someone (Holmes marketing, UK, distributors for
Lee filters) to make a rectangular dark yellow filter for IR Ektachrome
(much better colours than the usual mid yellow)- it is costing me about
UKP 50 but other than this they simply don't exist in Cokin "P" size
AFAIK; (this so I can use any lens I can fit on my R bodies with said IR
Ektachrome). So they could probably do a resin opaque IR filter as well.

The question is, who's going to ask someone to develop a fisheye viewer?

>BTW2: I guess you know that there is a 20mm M39/rangefinder Russian
>lens also around? Anyone experience with this one? (pfui....back on
>topic....ZIP....:-)

I also want the answer to *that* one...

joe b.