To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: This film leader thing is just a great, new "beginning"
From: doctorc8@stout.entertain.com (Henry Chu)
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1996 12:44:51 -0700

>Dear Group,
>
>Brian Reid wrote all of us recently how pleased he was that this type of
>discussion has FINALLY hit his excellent forum!
>
>Brian, thanks from ALL of for starting the thing,  It was worth the
>effort, wasn't it??
>
>Group, these are the types of issues we need to focus on (no pun intended)
>here on the Leica users forum.  Yes, there will be "drifting" from
>time-to-time, but let's all work as hard to keep this a very productive,
>idea-exchange and problem-solving web site.
>
>We all have so much to share about our experiences in photography and with
>the world's best camera's:  Leica's - it's a real shame and a waste of
>time we start slashing folks that hosed us on camera bags and arguing
>amongst ourselves.
>
>My tiny CL seems to work with whatever film I feed into it.  The film
>take-up area (tension sprocket, take-up spool) looks remarkably "Japanese"
>somehow.  My only gripe is a lack of a hinged back.  Man, once you get
>used to THOSE from using SLR's, the slide-off backs are so
>s...l...o...w.......  I feel like I'm "field-stripping" the thing!
>
>All:  I'm curious if ANY of the Leica M models that accept a winder make
>it any easier to load film?  My Leica experience is strictly the CL so
>before I even consider an M4-P or an M-6, am I gonna frustrate myself
>trying to load film?  Except for the slide off back, the little CL is
>just about the easiest thing to load I've seen.
>
>Thanks.  Good shooting, everyone.  Happy Easter or Passover or just another
>Sunday to all!
>
>Regards,
>
>Tom Hodge / thodge@charweb.org / North Carolina, USA

Tom,

The problem you might experience with the M4 or M6 is the somewhat limited
access to the film path.  Only the base plate comes off and the only view
one has of the film path is through a flip-up window.  All in all, if you
have not had trouble with the CL you won't have trouble with the M4/6.  I
have both cameras and that has been my experience.

Henry

P.S. Brian Reid, you have done a tremendous job!