To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: M; 35/1.4, 35/2
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 01:03:29 +0000

In message <199603051517.QAA01245@amoco.saclay.cea.fr>, Laurent
SAMINADAYAR <saminad@amoco.saclay.cea.fr> writes
>Is the 35 f/2 better than the 35 f/1.4?

For the M system; I had to chose between these and I like fast lenses; I
read up everything I could find and talked to dealers (I have a dealer I
trust not to bs me) and felt on balance that there was a *big* bias in
opinions towards the 35/2 being better optically. Both apparently have
coma wide open, but on the 1.4 it is supposed to be much more obvious.
I've seen night-scene pictures taken on the 1.4 that I find sad and
unsatisfying because of the lights all turning tear-shaped away from the
centre of the frame. It was *so* obviously a lens aberration, and it
looked bad IMHO. I have used the f2 one wide open a lot (indoor
photography) and have no problem with its performance. If I was a
photojournalist the goalposts would be in a different place and 1.4
might well be essential.
joe b.