To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: What lenses fit R bodies
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 18:56:24 +0000

In message <9603061056.AC19836@a3>, Willem-Jan Markerink
<w.j.markerink@a1.NL> writes
>Come to think about it....M42 is the only other universal adaptor
>for Leica besides Tamron, right?

As I understand it, M42 lenses cannot be put on Leica R bodies with any
sort of adapter because due to the large lens-flange-to-film-plane
distance of the R body compared to M42 body, infinity focus is lost
(although they can be put on Leica M bodies...). So as far as I have
been able to ascertain, with a little research, the only lenses I can
use on a Leica R body are (and please add to this if I've missed
something!);

(All of this is for Leica R4 onwards, the R3 & before is not something I
understand well)

# Leica R,
# Angenieux with fixed Leica R mount,
# Possibly Schnieder-Kreuznach with fixed Leica R mount (not sure)
# T/T2 with separate Leica R mount,
# Tamron adaptall with separate Leica R mount,
# Various odd others such as Leica thread mount lens (heads only) on
adapters + bellows *,
# Leica Visoflex lenses on adapters *,
# Other reflex-housing-type (Kilfitt etc) lenses on custom adapters *,
# Any correct focal length and coverage but physically short lens like
an enlarger lens, on an adapter + bellows *,
# Certain other lenses specially converted, but not generally lenses
designed to work on shallower bodies as infinity focus will not be
obtainable, but then longer focal lengths can be "cut down" without
sawing through lens elements, preset lenses relatively easy, also Aero
Ektars and Aviars apparently if you don't mind radioactive coatings (!),
# Certain other lenses if put on specially made converters, such as H-
mount lenses (like T-mount but with 47mm thread, lots made by Hanimex
and other independents in the early 60's), (not much incentive though),
# The longer (say 180, 300mm) lenses on dual mount systems made for
mounting on both Praktica and Pentacon 6, identified by conical adapter
about 2" long held on with locking arrangement); lens can be put on
specially made mount.

* When used with adapters, may generally also need to include focusing
mounts for head-only & viso etc lenses.

Generally the adaptions and conversions revert to manual stop-down.

Information largely from Ian Broomhead of SRB film services, Luton, UK.

I have a Zeiss Jena 20mm Flektogon on an uncoupled Leica R mount that
isn't a T-mount lens in the normal sense as the mount is fixed to the
lens with 6 screws which go from the back of the mount, through into the
rear of the lens, and have glue on their heads (!), at a slightly wrong
rotational angle so the focusing reference point isn't quite at the top
when the lens is on the camera. It works beautifully though as long as I
don't mind turning the aperture ring to stop it down. Exactly which
category this one comes into I'm not sure but it could be a customised
T2; or something else. I suspect something else. Nobody has yet
explained the origin of this odd-but-nice object. If anyone else has or
has seen any other oddities I'd be fascinated to hear about them.

No responsibility accepted for errors!

joe b.