To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Hand held shots at 1/2 sec.
From: Kalessin@eworld.com
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 11:55:33 -0800

Certainly the
ability to hand-hold my M-3 at very slow speed is one of the things that
make it irreplacable for me.

Are there any other such stories out there?
<<

About a decade and a half ago, I did an entire show based upon the concept of
"available darkness" shooting, handheld images from the night. Most of my
exposures were between 1/15 and 4 seconds long. They weren't taken with a
Leica M, with my old reliable Nikon FM, but there was more than acceptable
sharpness for 12x enlargements.

The Leica vibrates less and will be easier to hold still, but I think that
such steadiness is more a learned skill than a built in capability. I find my
mini-35s a lot harder to hold still because they are very light and move very
easily. The Nikon and the Leica M are rather close in weight with the right
lenses on them, and the Nikon self-timer does you the favor of pre-flipping
the mirror up so the shutter release point happens with virtually no
vibration just like the Leica.

All a matter of learning how to use whatever equipment you have to best
advantage.

Godfrey

Replies: Reply from tomrice@netcom.com (Tom R. Rice) (Re: Hand held shots at 1/2 sec.)
Reply from Wolfgang Sachse <sachse@msc.cornell.edu> (Re: Hand held shots at 1/2 sec....)