To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Best Lens for Visoflex III
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 07:51:20 -0500

Yesterday, on a whim, I bought a Visoflex III with both prism and vertical
viewfinders.  It's in mint condition with box and manuals and I just
couldn't resist because the price was so good.  I had one, actually a
Visoflex II, some 20 years ago, and so I bought this one for nostalgia sake
as much as anything else.

Now I need to see how I'll use it, and the primary question is, what's the
best lens for it?

Looking at the books, it seems that the two most common lenses that'll
provide infinity focus are the 65mm f3.5 Elmar and the short mount 90mm f2.0
Summicron.  Both appear to have preset type diaphrams specifically for use
with the Visoflex.  I don't think I'll use the Visoflex with long lenses
because I already have a complete system in Nikon for this purpose.

What I'll probably do is get either the 65mm or the 90mm and use it as part
of my Leica travel kit for the odd time that a medium tele with reflex
viewing would be handy -- close ups, critical framing or effect, polarizer etc.

So, any suggestions as to which of these two lenses would be preferable, or
is there something I've missed?

ps:  I already have a 28 f2.8, 35 f1.4, 50 f2.0 and 90 f2.8 for my M6 -- all
latest vintage.

Thanks,

Michael