To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Best Lens for Visoflex III
From: msmall@roanoke.infi.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 09:35:50 -0500
Cc: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>

My heavens, but I have a fairly complete VISO set (early PLOOT, late PLOOT,
I TM, I BM, II TM, II BM, IIa TM, IIa BM, and III) and use them all with
some regularity.  I have short-mount lenses and Telyts, and also use the
reflex housings with a variety of after-market gear as well, such as Kilfitt
lenses.

Your question really boils down to an examination of your own needs and
style.  Both lenses are fine lenses and capable of really superb results --
but, at least today, the 2/90 will probably cost you a bit more than the
Elmar, and that may, or may not, be a factor.  There's also a short mount
version of the 4/135 Elmar -- Bob Pins has been advertising one for some time.

And don't write off the Telyts.  The 4/200 is a superb lens, and the 4.8/280
also.  The 5/400, alas!, has become a collector's piece of late, but, if you
can find one at a reasonable price, then it, too, will be most rewarding.

One final note:  to meter with an M6 and VISO, make sure the mirror is up.
A dumb point, but it's an easy mistake to make.

Best,

Marc
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!