To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: To French members only
From: Gang Huang <gang@mtdcr.mt.att.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 96 11:45:48 EST

At 09:52 AM 3/27/96 -0500, FortunkoC@aol.com wrote:
>I think aiming a letter at a particular ethnic group is in very bad taste.
>
>I am a former European who would like to see Europe forget about some of its
>bad legacies. This is an international forum. I do not object to the use of
>French. However, I do object to addressing a message to the French. What
>about the Canadians? Are they acceptable? What about members who speak
>French, but are not citizens of that leading democracy of Europe?
I fully agree with you that excluding anyone based on ethnicity or
nationality is in bad taste. But in this case, I believe that Mr. Guilbaud's
reason may not have been of discriminatory nature but of convenience.
Sometimes people do like to sell Leica (or any) equipment to buyers living
in the same geographical area or using the same currency to avoid dealing
with custom and import/export/VAT/
exchange rates/shipping costs, and etc.

Gang Huang
AT&T Bell Laboratories