To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Leica serial numbers
From: Gang Huang <gang@mtdcr.mt.att.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 96 21:25:58 EST
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

At 07:32 PM 3/28/96 -0500, Tom Hodge wrote:

>I heard first hand of an incident involving a repair center wherein a
>claim was made on a lens with a certain serial number being stolen and
>belonging to another party.  I believe the lens WAS passed along thru a
>few hands and that was damned unfortunate.

This brings up an intereseting question. Since we are not all millionaires,
we don't always buy things brand new or second hand with all original sales
documentations,. What if someone put a claim on something we bought from a
dealer who bought from another person who bought from ... ? How does our
legal system handle this? Who decides the outcome? I have come accross some
real "good" bargains on Hasselblad equipment in NYC but resisted my
temptation because of the concern of the stuff being hot.

Regards,
Gang Huang
AT&T Bell Laboratories
200 Laurel Ave. 3B-216