To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: To French members only
From: FortunkoC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 23:34:18 -0500

Dear Forum,

I would agree with you if it were not for the fact that France is a leading
member of the so-called European Community. This "community" seems to exclude
many Europeans who happen to live east of the Oder. (Let us not forget that
if Paris is really at the navel of Europe, and therefore, the whole universe,
then a natural frontier of Europe should be somewere near Ekaterinburg, or
Sverdlowsk.)

I thought that one of the reasons for creating this "Community" was to make
trade between members less difficult while making trade, and other relations,
with non-members more difficult. I do not object to the use of the French
language, or another lingua franca, on this forum. I object to addressing the
message only to the French.

May be I am too sensitive, but I do not think so. Recently, I took a strong
exception to an invitation to a European conference. The organizer, an
employee of the German Federal Government,  included a statement that
representatives of the CIS (former Soviet Union where many Leica copies were
rather compentently made) will be invited, providing there are no objections.
We (from the US) were invited, of course. This may be similar to the former
South Africa treating Japanese as honorary whites.

Therefore, I do not buy the arguments about VATs, etc. I also noticed that
the sender used an Internet address that is probably owned by the French
government. I assume that his message was personal. In this case, it should
not have been sent from this address. I maintain two e-mail addresses to make
sure that users of the Internet do not take my personal views as
representative of those of my employer.

I am not asking for political correctness. I am just pointing out that France
is not at the navel of the universe. Incidentally, I really admire most
things French. After all, France gave us people like Albert Jarry (King Ubu)
who made a profoundly absurd statement about Poland. Although a Pole, I did
not find the words of Jarry to be personally offensive. However, I believe
that if Jarry were alive today, he would probably direct the same words at
the European Community and some of its denizens.

Let's get back to fine lenses, such as the Tele-Elmar.

Best regards and Pax et Lux,

CMF