To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Which lens to buy?
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 17:30:12 -0500 (EST)

Marc indicated that the 90 Elmar f:/4 was indeed a good optic.  I'm writing
because I have a need for a 90 and don't do a lot of portrait work with the
Leica (I use medium format) so f:/4 is fine for landscape and much street
work.  The question I have though is about optical performance.  While I
claim no particular expertise as an optical engineer, I do have some very
strong practical knowledge about image quality from years of making
exhibition enlargements from both 35mm and 2 1/4.

My concern is that the Elmar 90 is a three element lens.  Now I'm not trying
to elicit a cacaphony of jeers from the group and I know there is a whole
lot more to performance than the number of elements in a lens.  And, I know
this is Leica we're talking about and all of that.  But, in the history of
all of photography, I've never read any rave reviews about the optical
performance of any 3 element lens.  In practical terms, how satisfied am I
likely to be with 11X14 images from this optic?  I am deliriously happy with
those produced by my 35mm 8 element Summicron and from my 50mm Summicrons.
I once owned a 90 Elmarit and was happy with it.  Once again, speed is not
an issue, image quality is the key for me.  I would truly appreciate any
serious impressions.

On a different topic.  I bought a couple of custom made soft touch releases
from Fred Ward (he's in our group) a couple of months ago and have become
addicted.  Clever, simple and effective.  The ones he had are also
ergonomically designed.

Thanks,

Curt

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net> (Re: Which lens to buy?)