To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Cartier-Bresson
From: Francois Jouve <Francois.Jouve@polytechnique.fr>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 11:31:48 +0200

Edi wrote:

> Leica officials of course are very proud of him. [What better advertisement
> can you have then some of the best photographers of the world using your
> cameras?] He got several gifts from them including a Leica M with his name
> engraved. If my memory serves me right the serial number was 2000000. From
> what I've read I understand that he really uses that one.

Actually it was the no. 1000000 (a chromed M4-2, very nice...). I saw it in
an american book made by a photographer - not very famous, I forgot his name -
who took the portrait of almost all the greater photographer of the century.

Only HCB refused to be shot. He said that he preferred to remain anonymous
to the people. It's better for his style of photography, even if he doesn't
work any more... But he gave to the author a drawing of his wonderful Leica,
with the number 1000000 engraved.

F.J.