To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, Leica List <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: The most recent 90/2.8 Elmarit-M
From: "Charles E. Albertson" <chucko@eskimo.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 1996 19:54:23 -0800

Gary---
     I had read that the "new" (it's been out since about 1990) Elmarit-M is
a bit sharper in the near-focus range than the older Tele-Elmarit design.
Some folks like the "soft-focus" effect of the older lens for portraits. I
never tried the older design, so can't really compare the two. But I've had
an Elmarit-M for about six weeks now and, while I'm still learning about it,
am delighted with it. Very sharp at all focusing distances, and more
versatile than I thought it would be --- even got a decent shot of the comet
a couple of weeks ago.
     Also, the Elmarit-M has a 46mm filter size, vs. the 39mm filter for the
Tele-Elmarit. If you use filters, that can be an extra expense. I generally
leave a UV filter on my lenses to protect the front element (it rains a lot
here), but the hood on the Elmarit-M is deep enough that I haven't felt the
need to install a filter yet.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.

Replies: Reply from Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca> (The most recent 90/2.8 Elmarit-M)