To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: The most recent 90/2.8 Elmarit-M
From: Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 10:01:34 -0500 (EST)

	Thanks for the help, Charles.

	Your remarks lead me to rephrase my question:  has Leica made more
than one version of the 90/2.8 Elmarit-M since they replaced the 90/2.8
Tele-Elmarit?   The version of the Elmarit-M that they were making in
1990 had no hood and had a 39mm filter ring, while recently they
came out with a version with a built in hood and a wider filter ring.  I
am curious to know whether there is any optical difference between the
two and when the new version came out.

Gary Toop

On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, Charles E. Albertson wrote:

> Gary---
>      I had read that the "new" (it's been out since about 1990) Elmarit-M is
> a bit sharper in the near-focus range than the older Tele-Elmarit design.
> Some folks like the "soft-focus" effect of the older lens for portraits. I
> never tried the older design, so can't really compare the two. But I've had
> an Elmarit-M for about six weeks now and, while I'm still learning about it,
> am delighted with it. Very sharp at all focusing distances, and more
> versatile than I thought it would be --- even got a decent shot of the comet
> a couple of weeks ago.

SNIP